Universal Studios fire sparked by blow torch
By Steve Gorman Mon Jun 2, 9:52 PM ET
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A fire that burned through a large swath of theduring the weekend was accidentally sparked by workers using heating tools on a film set, fire officials said on Monday.";}},1);. . .
He said an investigation revealed the fire was touched off by three members of a studio work crew who had been using a blow torch to apply asphalt shingles to the roof of a building facade.
They finished their work at about 3 a.m. and stood watch for an hour, according to company policy. Seeing no signs of a fire, they left the scene for a break, but a security guard in the vicinity noticed flames about 45 minutes later and called the fire department.
In any case, it's amazing to me that the studio didn't have a better fire response and weren't able to contain the fire. I know they had low water pressure, etc., but this is LA, home of wildfires, etc., and the same area was destroyed by an arson fire previously.